Easy Appetizer Recipes For Happy Occasions
These tuna empanadas will be great appetizer recipe ideas for parties and special occasions. There are various types of empanada recipes. You can make it with meat, fish, and vegetables and there are also sweet recipes.
I prepared this one for my daughter’s 13th birthday and it has been a great success so thought of sharing with you.
So here is the famous recipe!
Tuna Empanadas Recipe
Servings: 24-30 pcs
Preparation: 45 min
Refrigeration: 30 min
Baking: 20-25 min
Special Tool: Circular cutter (10 cm or 4 inch)
- 500 g of all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 100 g of butter cut in small cubes
- 3 eggs beaten (2 for empanada dough and 1 for brushing)
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper cut in small cubes
- 1 tomato cut in small cubes
- 350g of canned tuna in oil (preferably sunflower oil)
- 2 table spoons of fresh coriander finely chopped
How to make Empanada dough:
In a large bowl, add ½ tea spoon. of salt to the flour and mix well. Then add the butter cubes and knead the butter with the flour to obtain a consistency like bread crumbs.
Beat 2 eggs. Add the eggs and 4 to 6 table spoon. of water. Knead it into dough.
Cover the dough with plastic film and keep it in the fridge for 30 min.
Preparing Tuna Empanadas stuffing:
Heat a frying pan. Open the tuna cans and pour the oil from the can in the frying pan.
Add the chopped onions and fry them until golden-brown.
Now add the rest of the ingredients (tuna, tomato cubes, red pepper cubes and salt.
Lower the heat and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Don’t forget to stir from time to time. At the end add the chopped coriander.
Preparing Empanadas and Baking:
Pre-heat the oven at 180°C.
Take a bit of dough and roll out the dough (spread) to a thickness of 3 to 5 cm. Now with a circular cutter cut as many discs as possible.
In each disc, place about 1 to 1½ table spoon. of the tuna mixture. Now fold the disc and with your fingers, press and twist the borders to close any gap.
Continue until all dough or mixture is finished.
Spread the olive oil on the baking tray. Place the empanadas on the tray.
Beat the last egg. Brush the empanadas with the egg. Bake them for 20 to 25 mn.
You can serve them hot or cold.
- You can use a dough mixer but best results are when done by hand.
- If you don’t want to use the oil from the canned tuna, then use 1 table spoon of normal cooking oil.
- You can also use natural canned tuna.
- The wasted bits of the spread out dough can be reused to prepare more discs.