Prawns with Turmeric Spice
An Authentic Flavour To Try
Prawns with turmeric spice!! Hmmm! You have to try this recipe. Prawns are delicious. Who does not like to taste them?
It is one of my favorite fish dishes. This Prawns with turmeric spice recipe focuses on use of turmeric spice. It is not spicy as in terms of hot but has a strong flavor when the turmeric is mixed with the other ingredients.
What is Turmeric Spice?
Image Courtesy of “Van Robin” from Flikr
Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) belongs to the ginger family. Turmeric (called “haldi” in Hindi) is an ancient spice and has been used for the past 4000 years. It forms a part of the daily key ingredients that we use in our Indian/Bengali recipes.
The fresh turmeric roots are cultivated in many parts of the Asian continent, namely in Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, China and Taiwan. It has a brown skin and orange texture on the inside.
Culinary Uses Of Turmeric Spice
Image Courtesy of “girlscoutfwb” from Flikr
Turmeric is used extensively in cooking. Mostly used for cooking fish and vegetable. It gives the curry the yellow texture.
It is also used as a dye for clothes in India and Bangladesh.
Turmeric Wedding Ceremony
Not to forget that it is also a favorite make up product for the teenage Indian girls. The fresh turmeric roots are ground and prepared into a thick paste. Then, this paste is put all over the body. Once the paste dries out on the skin, the young ladies take a shower. It is said that it rejuvenates your skin and gives you a younger look.
We also use the same procedure during the weddings. Both the bride and bridegroom will follow the above procedure before the wedding ceremony.
Yes we had also gone through the same wedding procedure 17 years ago. It was great fun a lot of excitement. You can imagine we are still together.
Turmeric Health Benefits
The roots are also used for medicinal purpose by the Indians such the “Ayurvedic Medicines”. One famous paste that nourishes your skin is the Vicco Turmeric Cream. Extensively used by the Indian culture for the protection of the skin.
Ok let’s get this Prawns With Turmeric Recipe on the way!!
Prawns With Turmeric Spice
6 Servings – Preparation: 15 mn – Cooking: 30 mn
- 30 big prawns
- 6 new onions
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 50 grams butter
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 table spoon of turmeric
To serve with
- Cooked Rice
- 50 grams of grated coconut (optional)
- Cut the head of the prawns. Wash and peel the tomatoes.
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and cut these into small cubes.
- Peel and chop the onions finely. Peel the cloves of garlic and smash it.
- Heat the butter and then fry the prawns in it. When they start getting a golden color, add the onions and garlic. Mix them and put the tomatoes.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture .Wet it with two glasses of water, salt and add the thyme.
- Mix the turmeric powder with 3 spoons of water, add this with the preparation. Let it cook in mild heat 15 minutes.
- Serve it with rice, sprinkled with grated coconut.