Chicken In Poppy Seed Paste
Last week we tried a new recipe with poppy seed called Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe. At first, we thought that it will be an unusual flavor but it turned to be an excellent dish with its thick texture for the curry sauce.
We had it with rice but this could also make an excellent chicken dish to have with Pulao or Paratha. Next time we invite some friends in our house we are definitely, try it out with them. Cashew nuts paste is also used in this recipe which makes this recipe tastier and also helped in getting the thick sauce. It’s a Bengali chicken recipe. These ingredients are easily available in Asian store and bit super markets.
Some Facts About White Poppy Seeds
Before presenting this recipe I’d like to tell you something about the poppy seeds because some people aren’t familiar about them.
Poppy seed is a good source of dietary fiber and vitamin B complex. It’s used in cooking purposes for increasing special nutty flavor. It’s roasted under mild heat to increase the flavor. It’s widely used in a variety of ways. In south Asian countries, it’s widely used for sweet dishes, curries, and deep fry as a thin paste which is then added as thickening. In Europe, it’s also used for confectionery.
White poppy seeds contain good level of minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and magnesium. It decreases bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe
6 to8 Servings – Preparation: 20 mn
- Chicken legs of 1 kg, cleaned
- White poppy seeds paste 3 table spoons
- Turmeric powder ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder 2 table spoons
- Chili powder or paprika powder 1 tea spoon
- Chopped tomatoes 2
- Chopped coriander leaves 3 tablespoons
- Chopped green chili 1 table spoon (optional)
- Cashew nut paste 1 table spoon
- Whole dry red chili 2
- Ginger paste1 table spoon
- Garlic paste 1 table spoon
- Cooking Oil 2 to 3 table spoons
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add chopped onion, chopped green chili (optional), grounded ginger, grounded garlic one by one and fry them in low heat until brown.
- Then add the chicken legs (skinned and cleaned). Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring from time to time. Then add chili or paprika powder, turmeric powder and salt (as per your taste). Continue stirring.
- Five minutes later, add 1 table spoon of cashew nut paste, chopped tomatoes, coriander powder and dry whole red chili.
- Add enough water that the chicken is cooked. Cover it for some minutes. Once the chicken is almost cooked and the water has reduced, add the poppy seed paste and coriander leaves.
- Cover it and let it cook for further five minutes. Garnish it with coriander leaves and tomatoes before serving.
Enjoy it in a lunch or a dinner. You can eat it with flat bread, rice or pulao.
If you don’t like spicy food then just use paprika powder instead of red chili powder.