Mackerel Fish Cakes
An Easy Fish Cake Recipe
You have got to try this Mackerel Fish Cakes Recipe!! Yes, I know, whoever thought of making fish cake recipe out of Mackerel. Most fish cakes are made out of white fish such as the Cod or Haddock. But you can make miracles happen when you let your imagination flow.
A few words about Mackerel Fish
The Mackerel Fish belongs to the “Scombridae” family. It is a slim and cylindrical shaped fish found in the Atlantic Ocean (Atlantic Mackerel) and also in tropical and temperate seas such as the Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea. It is also meaty and strongly flavored fish.
There are many kinds of Mackerel fish such as Atlantic mackerel, Pacific mackerel, King mackerel, Spanish Mackerel etc…
Mackerel Fish Health Benefits
Mackerel fish is a very oily fish, rich in Omega 3 fatty acid. Medical Scientists and health nutritionists recommend intake of Mackerel fish for maintaining a good healthy heart.
It helps to reduce the blood pressure and high cholesterol. It helps ease the pain of migraine, arthrosis and arthritis.
In a nut shell, consumption of fish is always beneficial for the health
Mackerel Fish Cake Recipe
This is a Bengali recipe and is known as Mackerel Fish Kebab. In traditional Bengali recipes, we make a lot of fish cakes with a variety of fish and we have it as fish snacks and also it is served as side dishes.
Fish is one of our traditional dishes and we love to make a variety of dishes with them. So let’s get this delicious fish snack cooking, Shall We!!
Mackerel Fish Kebab
- Fresh Mackerel fish -200 gms
- Potatoes – 100gms
- Eggs – 1 (beaten)
- Finely sliced Onions – 1 table spoon
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves – 1 table spoon
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 t sp
- Salt – according to your taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Poach the mackerel: In a large pan, add sufficient water to boil the fish. Add a little salt. As soon as the water starts to boil, lower the heat and let the fish cook gently for about 5 to 6 minutes.Drain the water and soak the extra water out of the fish by gently squeezing it between your palmsNow flake the fish with your hands and carefully remove all the bones and the skin.
- At the same time boil the potatoes and peel the skin.
- In a large bowl, smash the potatoes and the fish. Add the finely sliced onions, the chopped coriander leaves, ½ of the beaten egg, the cumin powder, black pepper mix and a pinch of salt. Mix them well together.
Note: if the mixture is too dry, then you can add a little bit more of the beaten egg. The mixture should not be wet but sufficient enough to make small balls.
- Fish Cakes: Now rub a bit of oil into your palms. Take a table spoon of the mixture in your palms and roll them into balls in between your palms and then slightly flatten them.
- Heat a frying pan with oil. When the oil is hot enough deep fry the balls until they are golden brown.
Optional: This Bengali fish cake is best enjoyed spicy. If you like spicy food, then just add finely chopped fresh green chili to the mixture before making balls.
How To Eat Mackerel Fish Cakes
As Fish Snacks
These mackerel kebabs can be eaten as snacks. Serve them hot with tomato ketchup, or sweet chili sauce or even coriander chutney.
As Side Dish
You can eat them as a side dish with the rice, Biryani or Pulao rice. In simple terms, it serves as starters or appetisers before we attack the main course.