Marinated in Lemon and Grilled in Butterfly Style
Rosemary Chicken Recipe is ideal for you, If you like grilled chicken then try this, easy recipe marinated with lemon and rosemary in the form of butterfly and grilled in charcoal. The French term for this recipe is “Poulet en crapaudine au romarin”.
Poulet en Crapaudine or Butterfly Chicken
Image Courtesy of ” Fish Buddha” from Flikr
This basically means that you are preparing the chicken in the form of a toad flattened out on its belly. This means that you have to break the joints of the legs and wings and cut neck of the chicken and split it down the back, remove the backbone and flatten it.
It helps in the grilling process when it is flattened. This Rosemary Chicken recipe is grilled in charcoal. Although the process is not very difficult, you still need to prepare the marinade at least 4 hours in advance before grilling.
A Little about Rosemary Herb
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) is a woody, perennial herb with fragrant, evergreen, needle-like leaves. It is native to the Mediterranean region. It is a member of the mint family Lamiaceae, which also includes many other herbs such as oregano, basil and marjoram. It is usually grown by the ocean surrounding from where it derives its name from Latin “Dew of the Sea”
Rosemary bushes can grow up to 6 feet tall but the majority of them are of a standard size of 3 feet tall. Its branches are made up of spiky leaves. The sprig of rosemary that we buy in stores or supermarkets is actually one of these small branches.
It is commonly used in cooking. It is an aromatic plant used in wide variety of dishes including, salads fruits and soups. It is a common ingredient for marinade such as beef, lamb and chicken.
Rosemary Lemon Chicken
8 Servings – Preparation: 20 mn – Marinate: 4 hours – Grill: 35 mn
- 2 chickens of 1 kg, cleaned
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 table spoons of oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 table spoon of turmeric
- Salt, pepper
- Prepare the chicken in Crapaudine: this is to break the joints of the legs, wings and neck of the chicken, split it down the back, remove the backbone and flatten it. It will take the form of a toad.
- Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into thin strips. Put them in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of oil, the rosemary sprigs, salt and pepper and mix it.
- Cut the lemon into two and rub it on the skin of chickens. Place them into the fridge for 4 hours.
- After this time, cook the chicken over hot coals: First, place the chicken bone side down on the grill for 20 minutes and then 15 minutes the other way.
- Serve chicken hot with lemon, new cultivated onions, cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumbers